Cyber attack is a growing trend and everyone should be prepared to mitigate the impact on their business.
There is a few basics steps to take immediately when a cyber incident occurs. The objectives are to reinforce the security of the system and mitigate the risks and losses.
- Change passwords;
changing the password is crucial once a breach is detected
- Investigate the incident;
getting help from a third-party firm will provide a better assessment of the situation since the incident happened on your current IT provider’s watch
- Notify the parties involved;
an honest and concise communication must be communicated; apology, information and extent of the incident as well as its impact and finally confirmation that measures are being taken to remediate and prevent future occurrence.
And then what…?
You want to know the impact on your business. To do so, you have to obtain feed-back not only from the inside (sales, procurement, HR, legal and customer service divisions) but also from the outside. You need to “listen to” what is said about your business.
- How your customers feel about what happened. Are they still loyal? Do they remain on your side?
- How are your employees reacting? Do they worry about their jobs? Their reputation?
- How is your competition trying to use you misfortune to their advantage?
- How are your vendors, business partners, etc. seeing your relationship?
People mostly do not care what got you into this situation. They care about what you’re doing to make it right and to protect them.
You want to have external ears and eyes on the aftermath? We can customize a solution to your needs.